This image from S Giovanni in Laterano in
S Giovanni in Laterano is one of the most important churches in
There are two entrances. It is almost more revealing to enter through the
The name comes from the patrician Lateranus family who were accused of conspiracy against Emperor Nero. Nero confiscated their property and executed some of the family members. In 4C the property came into the hands of Constantine who arranged for a church to be built here. The church has retained its original plan, although the interior dates from 1649 having been destroyed by fire on several occasions. The east façade was added in 1734.
In the apse of the church is the Papal Throne. The Papal Altar in the middle of the transepts is a Gothic baldacchino dating from the 14C. Attached to the church is an important museum containing many artifacts.
This image shows some of the huge 8m statues that line the nave in alcoves framed by massive pillars. There are 12 of them, one for each of the Apostles and date from the early 18C. Above them are stuccoes depicting scenes from the Old Testament. The full panoramic image shown on the Rome tour by PanoramicEarth.com. For better appreciation of this image go to the collection on Flickr.
For more articles on