This photo of the Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna is part of one of the panoramic images found on the PanoramicEarth.com Tour of Rome. There are over 100 images taken from around
The Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna is slightly out of the centre of
The gallery contains arguably the most important collection of 19C and early 20C Italian art in the world – there are over 5,000 paintings, statues and other items on display here. The collection started in 1883 and moved to the present purpose built site (Palazzo delle Belle Arti) in 1911. It was expended in the 1930’s towards the rear as the collection grew, and now contains over 70 rooms.
The works are divided into 4 sections, the first part of the 19C collection is in the left wing featureing art from 1780-1880. The right wing houses the rest of the 19C with works dating from 1880-1910. The upper right wing houses the 1910-1950 collection and the upper left wing covers the 1950-1960’s. The central area between the two upper wings contains a sculpture gallery.
Among the artists featured are Balla, Boccioni, De Chirico, Morandi, Manzù, Burri, Capogrossi, and
Nearby is also the Museo Etrusco di Villa Giulia.
For more articles on