This image from Santi Bonifacio e Alessio is part of one of the panoramic images found on the PanoramicEarth.com Tour of Rome. There are over 100 images taken from around
The name of this church is often abbreviated to
Eventually he was singled out as a “Man of God” and fled back to Rome to live, unrecognized, with his parents who, as Christians, took him in for 17 years. He spent this time hiding under the stairs and teaching the faith to children. Documents found after his death revealed who he really was. A portion of a staircase is set into a 17C altar at the west end of the left aisle, supposedly the very one Alexius lived under.
Originally a home the site was converted into a church in 5C, but has undergone many revisions. The interior is painted in pastel colours and, while plain compared to many churches, has an airy and free feel to it. The façade is from 18C with 5 arches and a five-storey bell tower dating from 1217. The church also contains a well from the Alessio family and a Byzantine Madonna of the Intercession brought to Rome in the 10C.